The attorneys of Wang Kobayashi Austin, LLC have experience with the compliance requirements and design considerations of all types of health and welfare benefit arrangements.
We consult on the compliance and administration issues related to all welfare and fringe benefits, including Section 125 cafeteria plans and flexible spending accounts, insured and self-funded health plans, severance programs, disability plans, adoption assistance programs, education assistance programs, qualified transportation benefits, leave of absence programs, and employee assistance programs.
Our services include:
- Plan Documents. We prepare and review plan documents, including "wrap" plan documents, and amendments for both design changes and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Disclosure Obligations. We prepare and review summary plan descriptions and summaries of material modifications. We also review benefit booklets for compliance with ERISA and other applicable laws.
- Plan Administration and Compliance. We counsel employers on day-to-day plan administration and compliance issues. We conduct health and welfare plan audits to review compliance with plan documents and applicable laws, including dependent eligibility audits and compliance with group health plan disclosure requirements. We also help employers prepare for and respond to government audits.
- Claims Determinations. We advise employers on claims for benefits and appeals of denied claims. We also counsel employers and plan fiduciaries on how to conduct the claims process in accordance with applicable ERISA requirements.
- HIPAA and HITECH Compliance for Group Health Plans. We work with employers to develop and update HIPAA privacy and security policies and procedures. We review and negotiate business associate agreements. We also advise employers on HIPAA portability and nondiscrimination requirements.
- COBRA Compliance. We advise employers on their COBRA obligations and review COBRA notices and procedures.
- Trainings. We provide trainings for plan sponsors and plan fiduciaries on a variety of topics, including HIPAA and HITECH compliance, fiduciary obligations under ERISA, and claims review and appeal processes.
- Service Provider Agreements. We review and negotiate on your behalf service provider agreements, including agreements relating to third-party administration and insurance.
- Reporting Issues. We prepare submissions under the DOL's Delinquent Filer Voluntary Compliance Program for late or non-filed Form 5500 annual reports, and related filings or disclosures.
- Corporate Transactions. We help clients navigate the employee benefit plan considerations that arise from corporate transactions. For more information, click here.